MIDI Controller

Today I started work on prototyping a footswich for a Raspberry Pi project I am working on.
The footswitch will send MIDI commands via USB to change effects, just like on a guitarist’s pedalboard.
In order to get the spacing right I’m opting to build using totem; it’s strong enough to without even my heavy feet, and easy enough to switch parts out.

The buttons on this attempt are a tad close together for comfortable stepping, so I will drill a few panels and try a few layouts out before building the rest of the enclosure and soldering the switches to my Arduino Due.

3 Likes

Today I have ordered a few different components for this build.

Rather than throwing a load of latching on/off switches like above I am going to use momentary switches.
Before I was hoping for 10 latching, but now the plan is to use 5; 4 for actual commands and 1 to act as a tab button to go between two banks.

This will give me the eight total buttons to use (a page of four straightforward on/off effect commands, and a second page for functions to switch pedalboards and things).
I have also ordered an expression pedal, which will control a variable input such as volume or wah.
This will require a TRS jack connection on the back of the controller connected to some analog pins.

I’m excited!

1 Like

I have a couple of Pedaltrain boards myself, but I reckon I use them more in the intended way - they’re all densely packed with distortion, modulation, delay and reverb pedals :slight_smile:
But making more flexible signal routings with DIY midi controllers is something I’d love to try one of these days.

But… are we to conclude that you are doing “something completely different” (as Monty Python might have phrased it)?
I’m curious! What awaits that Raspberry of yours?

1 Like

Thanks for the comment buddy!
My Pi project has already evolved following some use, and I’m going to be dropping my screen in exchange for more MIDI button space.
The midi control is far more flexible when I’m able to step on the switches and not need to interact with the screen; trombone playing requires two hands so it’s difficult.
I also have plans for a tiny OSC controller to mount on my trombone for wireless co tools with my thumb ha ha ha!

Fascinating :-o What effect would one find in the signal chain of a trombonist? Delay? Reverb? Perhaps a pitch shifter?

1 Like

Good question!
I’m working on developing a bit of a crazy chain at the moment;
I’m working on a plan to have the input signal split into three; one with no pitch editing effects, one through a sub octave pedal and pitch shifter, and one through a whammy and pitch shifter. All three lines are then merged and passed into a looper.

This will give me enough flexibility to be able to put down bass line loops, then play some three part harmonies with the verious combinations of lines engaged, and enable me to build loops far quicker than doing it line by line.

If I can get these working without the Pi struggling I can then look to add some reverb and delays between the merged lines and the looper.

I hope that makes sense!